How to Help Your Adult Children Move into their Own Home
Buying a first home is an exciting time for young couples and singles alike. The time spent saving up for a down payment, researching the best neighborhoods, and finding the perfect fit finally pays off when your adult children have the keys in their hands. Now the real fun begins. That is, the packing, moving, and unpacking that goes with the territory. There are many ways you can help them during this transition time from little things like preparing a meal to driving the moving van on the big day. Remember that you can book a free moving van if you rent a storage unit from 5ASpace!
Our storage rental facility near Lafayette can help ease the burden that comes with moving. It provides a place to put items away that are not needed immediately. We offer a variety of unit sizes to meet your needs. We even sell packing supplies such as boxes, tape, and packaging.
6 Ways to Help Your Children Move and Settle
Don’t let your adult children’s excitement wane because of the stress of moving. You can step in with these six ways to help:
- Preparing Meals – Moving is hard work. Packing, lifting, tugging, and shifting boxes and furniture works up an appetite. Who wants to search for pots, pans, and utensils to fix a meal after all the hard labor? Ordering takeout gets expensive, even if it is convenient. Instead, fix up a meal or two to feed everyone. You can grab some sandwich fixings for lunch and put a chicken in the slow cooker for supper. It doesn’t need to be fancy, just satisfying.
- Minding the Grandchildren – Ah, the little ones! The pitter-patter of little feet is great to hear once all the unpacking is done and things settle down. Things can be a little more frustrating if their parents are loaded down with boxes and little Johnny gets in the way. Somebody may get hurt. Why not take the grandkids for a few days while things are in chaos? The extra time and spoiling will make everyone happier.
- Caring for Pets – Fur babies can be very stressed during this transition time. Why not offer to keep Fido and Fluffy until everything gets settled? Even four-legged grandchildren deserve some special time.
- Tending to House Plants – Houseplants can quickly get neglected with all the packing and moving. Offer to take on and tend to the plants while everything is in disarray. You may discover a green thumb you never knew you had.
- Helping Pack or Unpack – The most obvious help is that of packing and unpacking. It’s lower on the list because packing can sometimes go quicker if grandkids and pets are not underfoot. If your kids start early enough, you can help a couple of evenings a week and things will get done super quickly.
- Moving Stuff into Storage – Nothing brings as much relief as knowing you don’t have to unpack things immediately upon arrival. Moving things into a storage rental opens up the opportunity to store seasonal and less-needed items. It can help with that overwhelming feeling that comes with staring at Mount Box-N-Stuff sitting in the new garage or living room!
Storage Units Make A House Move Less Stressful
Pitch in and help your children get into their first home with less stress when you offer to take some things off their plate. Choosing a 5A-Rent-A-Space Storage unit near their Lafayette home makes sense when they need a staging ground for all those boxes. Give them the gift of peace of mind during this transition.
Reserve your self-storage unit online now. Call 5A Rent-A-Space at 925-643-2024 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-527-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.