Stepping Out of Your Parents’ Home Is Hard, but You Can Simplify the Move
There comes a time in every child’s life when they need to leave the nest and set up their own home. It’s a time filled with excitement at the prospect of a new adventure and trepidation at the unknown. Coming out from under your mom and dad’s wings is a huge step in growing up. You may feel a little overwhelmed at everything you need to accomplish to pull the transition off, but with some planning, things will go much smoother.
Simplifying the process begins with a self-storage unit from 5A Rent-A-Space. We have a variety of sizes to house all of your extra stuff so that you can unpack on your timeline. Give your mom’s SUV a break and let us transport your belongings to your unit with our free moving van.
7 Suggestions to Make Your Move Simpler
Are you ready to make a successful move from your parent’s house to your first home? Utilize these tips and avoid adding stress to the transition:
- Talk to your parents and establish a move-out date. Your parents will be sad to see you go, but they will share in the excitement as well. Discuss with them your moving plan and your goal date. More than likely, they will be happy to help you accomplish your plans. They can help you with establishing a budget so that you know how much rent or house payment you can afford. Additionally, they may be able to give you tips to develop or improve your credit score, which is vital to buying or renting a home or apartment.
- Start purging your belongings. Avoid overcrowding your new digs with items you do not need. For example, clean out your closet of ill-fitting or unwanted clothes. This is a great time to donate or sell your belongings.
- Gather or buy packing supplies. Keep your fragile dishes safe by packing them in the appropriate boxes and wrapping. You can check out your local grocery or liquor store for free boxes. For specific box sizes and types, contact 5A Rent-A-Space. We have plenty of packing supplies to aid your quest.
- Begin packing. As you sort through belongings, go ahead and pack those you want to keep but don’t need at the moment. For instance, begin with seasonal items and knick-knacks. Starting early eases the stress of moving day. You can utilize storage space with a rental unit. It makes packing and unpacking a breeze.
- Enlist the help of your friends or hire a moving company. Reach out to all your friends and invite them to help you move. You can also consider hiring a company to assist in the transition.
- Establish utilities at your new place. Mom and Dad will no longer be paying for the lights! It’s up to you now. Go ahead and contact the electric, water and sewer, trash, and cable company now, so everything will be set on the first day you move in.
- Change your address from your parent’s place. As an independent adult, you probably ought to have your bills and other mail sent to your new home. You can choose the date to begin forwarding your mail through the USPS. Additionally, you will want to reach out to all your creditors and change your address.
Make Leaving Your Childhood Home Easier with a Storage Unit from 5A Rent-A-Space
Leave the nest with greater confidence when you prepare ahead of time. Choose a rental unit from 5A Rent-A-Space near Lafayette for greater ease in transitioning out on your own. Our spaces afford you the convenience of unpacking at your leisure, and our free moving van makes it all a breeze.
Reserve your self-storage unit online now. Call 5A Rent-A-Space at 925-643-2024 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-527-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.
Post a Comment