Have you started decorating for the season yet? The better question may be this: has frustration set in over the sheer quantity and disorganization of all the ornaments, bulbs and lights? Does it make you grumble like the Grinch? For some, the decades of children’s handmade ornaments stuffed in plastic bags collect dust in the attic. For others, the idea of untangling a web of hundreds of lights leaves them with visions of Santa sending his sleigh to whisk them away.
Instead of dreading holiday decorating, why not set out to organize and efficiently store your decorations? Start this season, and next year you will be thanking yourself.
After you get them all organized safely and efficiently, plan to store your artificial tree, holiday decorations, and that inflatable snow globe in a 5A Rent-A-Space self-storage facility near West Maui.
Tips for Organizing Your Decorations Efficiently
- Take Time to Purge Your Decorations: The holidays make us sentimental, so we will keep those items that no longer have use or are in such poor shape even your trash can will cringe. It is perfectly normal to feel this way. Motivate yourself to purge some ornaments now and save yourself a headache later.
- Go Ahead and Organize Your Ornaments: Sometimes it is not the number of items we have; it is the packing material we use that frustrates any ideas of organizing. You can splurge on a fancy ornament holder found online, or use a sturdy box and bubble wrap, and then pack those decorations safely. Remember to put the most fragile ornaments at the top of the box. If you have not done it yet, this holiday season is a great time to purge.
- Use Innovative Ways to Handle the Strands of Lights: Before you can even think about how to store all those strands of lights, you do need to go through the process of making sure they all work. Avoid the tendency to think you will fix any broken strands; just eliminate them – they’re taking up otherwise useful space. For those that do work, here are a couple of suggestions to easily store your lights:
- Cut notches at both ends of a rectangular piece of cardboard. Wrap a strand of lights around the cardboard. Store in boxes with some bubble wrap or newspaper in between.
- Use some one-gallon plastic bags. Put a single strand of lights in each bag.
- For those large sets of over-the-bush lights, store them each in separate kitchen size garbage bags, tie the ends and label with a black marker right on the white bag surface.
- Make It Easy with Clear Plastic Boxes: If you are a visual person, then you will love being able to see everything in a clear plastic tote. One tip: keep the size reasonable.
- Buy a Gift Wrap Organizer: Give yourself the gift of sanity; buy a gift wrap organizer and keep all your wrapping supplies in one place.
- Safely Store All Your Ornaments and holiday decorations in a Self-Storage Facility: You can sort and organize all you want, but if you do not have space in your home or apartment, decorating will quickly become a chore. A self-storage facility can ease your holiday stress levels.
Enjoy decorating again when you rent a storage unit near your West Maui home. The 5A Rent-A-Space self-storage facilities give you the extra space so you can celebrate the holidays stress-free. We are offering 20% Off our boxes and packing supplies for December/January. Also, our glassware boxes with their compartments and the small plate covers (bubble wrap envelopes for storing dishes) are very handy for storing tree ornaments.
Reserve your self-storage unit onlineall 5A Rent-A-Space at 808-745-1616 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-522-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need for your items? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.