As your company grows, your premises will, too. Working out of your spare bedroom may feel cramped when you add an employee. Try adding two, and you know you are in for trouble. Maybe your company has worked out of the same strip mall area for a decade, but you feel now is a good time for a bigger and better location. In either case, relocating your small business is no small undertaking. Just like when you transition from one home to another, you need planning. There are many more steps you ought to consider.
Ease the burden of getting all your office furniture and files to the new location when you lease a storage rental unit near Lafayette from 5A Rent-A-Space. We have many different sizes to meet your needs. If you need assistance, we can take your furniture and boxes to your new unit with our free moving van. You have enough on your agenda. Keep things organized with a rental space.
Guide to Relocating Your Small Business
There are so many moving parts in transitioning from one location to the next. Keeping things straight may prove to be monumental. Here is a handy checklist to keep you on task:
- Preliminary Steps: Even before you hire a moving company, there are several items to complete.
- Sign the lease for the new location.
- Alert your landlord of the move and give a lease termination date.
- Notify your employees of when and where relocating will happen.
- Put together a master change-of-address list.
- General Preliminary Steps: There are a variety of tasks at-large that you will want to undertake. Here are several:
- Reserve any elevators and loading docks for moving day at both locations.
- Hire a moving company.
- Make an inventory of existing furniture
- Create a color-coding system, so each piece gets to the right department at the new office.
- Order any new furniture.
- Handle mailing issues
- Order new stationery
- File the appropriate change of address forms.
- Notify suppliers and vendors of the move.
- Mail moving notices.
- Steps to Getting Staff On-Board: Your key assets will be your team. Delegate as many tasks as possible, including:
- Create a moving committee if possible.
- Develop a seating plan for the new location.
- Prepare labels for furniture and boxes.
- Schedule an office clean-up/purge day for the items and files no longer needed.
- Pack items from desks and filing cabinets. Label appropriately.
- Schedule an unpacking day to get things in place as quickly as possible.
- Take staff on a tour before the move if possible.
- Hand out access cards and keys for the new location.
- On Moving Day: Once the moving day has arrived, there are a few items to take care of.
- Ensure the air conditioning at the new location is turned on.
- Remove your computer equipment, servers, and phones before the movers arrive.
- After the Move Is Made: You’re not entirely done. There are some loose ends to handle.
- Have the telephones installed and tested.
- Install computers. Remember to test them.
- Schedule your press release and client announcement.
Ease the Stress of Moving Your Business, with a Storage Rental Near Lafayette
Moving can be a huge challenge when you aren’t prepared. Ensure a more natural transition when you utilize a storage rental near your new office space. The team at 5A Rent-A-Space is ready to help you find what you need, and our free moving van eases the burden of moving.
Reserve your self-storage unit online now. Call 5A Rent-A-Space at 925-643-2024 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-527-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.