Is Your Move Costing Our Planet?
Moving opens up many opportunities. You can experience a new part of town, a new state, or even a new country. This also gives you the best chance to have a massive clear out and pare down duplicate, and triplicate, items. It is incredible the number of belongings you can rediscover. For example, you may find that pair of lost red leather heels from your girlfriend’s bachelorette party. You may also discover that you have an enormous amount of trash in the form of plastic and other disposable materials.
It’s possible to reduce the impact you and your family have on the planet the next time you move. At 5A Rent-A-Space, we offer rental units near San Mateo to house your seasonal and lesser used items or to hold those belongings you are ready to get rid of. When you lease space from us, we will even move you with our free moving van.
5 Steps You Can Take to Lessen the Impact of Your Move on the Planet
Before you make your next transition, consider these steps to be more eco-friendly:
- Choose to live with less stuff. As you are packing, really take stock of what you own, what you can live without, and what you absolutely need. Get rid of those belongings that only add clutter to your life. Then choose to donate or sell what you no longer require.
- Ask for cardboard boxes from local stores. Before you buy packing supplies, utilize your corner shop for any boxes to begin your packing. If you purchase specialty boxes, pass them on to a friend who is moving before sending them to the recycling center.
- Get creative on your packing supplies. Kitchen towels can be used for more than wiping off dishes. You can use them between plates instead of newspaper. You can also stuff your luggage with belongings.
- Avoid buying paper towel to clean your old place. For those pieces of clothing that are too old to wear or give away, you can find a new use by cutting t-shirts, towels, and sheets into rags. You save money and the environment by not purchasing unnecessary reams of paper towels.
- Utilize camping mess kits when eating takeout. Inevitably, moving requires eating takeout. Be it Chinese, pizza, or Italian, few of us feel like cooking after a long day of packing and lugging boxes. A camper’s mess kit helps you cut down on the mounds of plastic silverware that comes with your food and lands in the trash.
Ease Your Environmental Impact on Your Next Move
Do your part to protect the environment when you plan your next move. For those extras that you cannot get rid of or seasonal items you don’t have room for, utilize a self-storage unit near San Mateo from 5A Rent-A-Space. We can ease the process by transporting your already packed items in our free moving van. When we arrive, you load your boxes in the van, and then we take them to your new rental unit. We have a wide range of sizes to meet your storage needs.
Reserve your self-storage unit online now. Call 5A Rent-A-Space at 650-338-0016 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-527-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.