When most people consider remodeling their home, they see the ‘before’ and ‘after’ images in their minds. However, there is the messy ‘middle’ that many fail to scrutinize. Before you can enjoy your new kitchen, have you thought about how you will cook your family meals during the weeks your kitchen is out of commission? What will you do with all your pictures and knick-knacks while your living room is getting its makeover? How much will the family be inconvenienced during your new flooring installation? Minimize the stress of all the clutter and simplify the clean-up process by renting a unit at a self-storage facility near San Mateo. Keep your fine china safe while your contractor and crew are working their way through your home. There are many ways to prepare you, your family, and your home before a renovation, but the greatest one is off-site self-storage. It can alleviate many worries about your belongings being damaged during your home renovation.
6 Tips to Prepare Your Home near San Mateo for Remodeling
Here are 6 tips for getting you and your home ready for your renovation:
- Know what to expect: Inevitably, Murphy’s Law is in play during a remodel. Anything that can go wrong, probably will! Accepting this fact can help ease your stress during the process. For example, when products are delivered late, the wrong product was delivered, or you discover that there is a leak in the plumbing that needs to be fixed.
- Determine how you will manage your stress: Your renovation project will affect your everyday routines. Ask your contractor as many questions as you can regarding the remodel process. Keep the lines of communication open between you and your significant others. Ask that your contractor prepare a timeline for you on each project’s progress. Then you and he can better keep the whole project on track.
- Keep your family and pets safe: Make sure that your children understand they need to stay out of the work zone. Find ways to barricade your pets from the work areas.
- Tidy up as you go: The amount of dust you will experience may surprise you. Protect those items that you cannot move, such as your floors, large furniture or pianos, by sealing off work areas with plastic tarps or a drop cloth. Request your construction crew to sweep up dust and debris at the end of each work day. If they are doing any outdoor projects, ask that they clean up the dust periodically throughout the day. This will manage the amount of dust that comes in the house.
- Rent a storage unit to keep down the clutter: If your kitchen is being remodeled, you will need to pack up most of your dishes, pots, and pans. Renting a storage unit near San Mateo will help you stay organized and reduce breakage and damaged items. Less clutter leads to less stress during this disruptive time.
Take time to prepare your home and family for the upcoming disarray before, during and after a home remodel. 5A Rent-A-Space has storage units in a variety of sizes to keep your belongings protected yet accessible.
Reserve your self-storage unit onlineall 5A Rent-A-Space at 650-338-0016 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-522-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need for your items? Use our online Space Calculator before renting a self-storage unit near San Mateo.