Nothing is more relaxing than your last day of the school year. No more headaches to deal with. No more professors demanding your time. Now is the time to sit back, drink a cold soda, and enjoy the dog days of summer. That is, of course, until after summer is over and it’s time to head back to college. All those boxes you packed in the back of your car will need to be repacked for another year of classes. The biggest problem you may be facing is how to get everything you “need” into your dorm room or super small off-campus apartment. Space is at a premium, so expand your space by utilizing a self-storage facility near your San Mateo campus.
While you may have a good idea of what you can and cannot live without, Mom and Dad may have different thoughts. Avoid treating your old bedroom as an additional storage room and let your parents fight over turning it into a man cave versus a day spa. 5A Rent-A-Space has a variety of unit sizes just right for your dorm room overflow. With our convenient location near San Mateo, you can easily access your belongings throughout the school year.
Self-Storage Facilities near San Mateo Make the Grade! Here’s What to Store…
Too much clutter is not beneficial when you want to focus on studying without distractions. There are some great ideas to utilize every inch of space in your dorm room or off-campus apartment, where there is only so much space. What do you do with all the extra stuff? Consider storing these items in your unit:
- Blankets: As the seasons change, you may find that your summer bedspread is not heavy enough to keep you warm in the fall and winter. Tuck away your heavier blankets and quilts in a storage rental unit until it is time to get cozy again. Remember to put them into those great zippered covers, one of those bins with a lid or other plastic container, to keep them dust free and fresh.
- Furniture: Keep extra futons, couches, tables, or dressers that are too big for your living area. This beats hauling it back to your family’s home. Protect the upholstered items with a sheet or tarp.
- Seasonal Clothing and Equipment: Face it, college living is challenging. There is never enough closet space when you need it. Free up room by packing up your winter stuff until you need it. This includes your sports equipment. You can tuck your skis out of site and then switch them out for your bike when the seasons change. Get one or two of those great clothing boxes with the bar at the top to store off-season clothes. Remember to add a piece of cedar or other moth deterrent for protection.
What to Look for in a Self-Storage Facility
Deciding what items to take, from everything you own is an important decision, so is choosing the right company to trust with your belongings. Before placing your items in the first unit you find, do your homework. Ask these questions:
- Can I share the unit with another person? Depending on the company, you might be able to. There may be additional fees or conditions, so be sure to check out the fine print.
- What sizes are available and how much do they cost? Great question! You want to consider how much space you need. Talk to the company to determine what size will work best for you and still fall within your budget. Or check out the space calculator at 5A Rent-A-Space’s website: http://5aspace.com/calculator.html
- How do I access my stuff? Each facility has different hours. Check them out and find one that is convenient for your lifestyle.
Getting your belongings back to school will not be a nightmare if you work with the storage team at 5A Rent-A-Space. We can help you determine the best unit size for your needs without breaking the bank.
Reserve your self-storage unit onlineall 5A Rent-A-Space at 650-338-0016 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-522-7223) to learn more.
Not sure how much space you will need? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.