Do you have some unused electronic devices sitting around taking up space? Maybe you are in the process of moving your mother-in-law into your spare bedroom and need to store your additional televisions, computers, printers, or cameras for an extended period of time. Putting these items in storage can be the solution to freeing up precious space in your home.
As these are expensive purchases, it is important that you do not just throw your items into storage without thinking about how to protectively package your investment. When you choose a 5A Rent-A-Space storage rental near Lafayette, you can be assured that your belongings are safe and protected.
3 Tips for Safely Storing Electronics for Extended Periods
Before you leave your electronics to the whims of the climate, take these tips into consideration for properly storing your items:
- Think Climate Controlled Units – Electronics can be fickle when it comes to climate exposure. If it gets too cold, you run the risk of ink and fluids freezing in your printer. If it gets too hot, your printer or cameras can build up condensation or rust and suffer moisture damage. One way to solve this dilemma is to rent a climate-controlled storage unit. If a climate controlled unit isn’t available, choose a ground floor unit inside the storage building. That gives you the protection of the building all around your unit and it’s not exposed to the outside elements.
- Pack the Right Way – When you pack the correct way, you not only protect your electronic items, but you can prolong their shelf-life. Here are a few basics to get you started:
- Bubble Wrap – Surround your fragile computers, cameras, mobile phones, and music items with bubble wrap to give them shock absorption protection.
- Cotton Sheets or Canvas Covers – Dust is a nightmare for electronics. Place cotton sheets or canvas covers over your items to keep dust at bay, before you cushion them with the bubble wrap.
- Avoid Plastic – Plastic does not breathe; therefore, moisture gets trapped inside easily. Never cover your electronics tightly wrapped with plastic when putting them away in long term storage.
- Label Boxes – After you pack your storage boxes, be sure to clearly label each one with the contents so you can easily access what you need.
- Warning Labels – It is a good idea to remind yourself and others that the contents in the boxes are fragile, heavy or need “this side up”. Labels can keep both your items and your back safe.
- Insure Your Belongings – Most electronic devices like mobile phones, televisions, cameras, and computers are expensive. While a storage rental property is equipped with strong security systems and video surveillance cameras, it does not protect you from unexpected situations like natural disasters. Additional insurance can help when disaster strikes.
Enjoy peace of mind when you properly store your electronic devices in long-term storage. A 5A Rent-A-Space storage rental gives you the protection you need, frees up space at home and still allows easy access to your possessions.
Reserve your self-storage unit onlineall 5A Rent-A-Space at 925-643-2024 or toll-free at 1-800-5ASPACE (1-800-522-7223) to learn more. Not sure how much space you will need for your electronics? Use our online Space Calculator to estimate the best unit size for you.