3 Tips to De-Clutter your Home
A great New Year’s resolution is choosing to de-clutter and organize your home. It can be overwhelming deciding where to start, so here are a few tips to help you along in the process.
- Start small. If you try and tackle your whole home at once, it will feel overwhelming. Start with one room or even one half of a room. Accomplishing smaller goals will help you feel successful and capable of tackling bigger projects.
- Sort items into 3 piles: Keep, Donate, Trash. This can be the most difficult part of the process. In order to help you decide which pile to put an item into, ask yourself these questions:
(2) If I were shopping right now, would I buy this?
(3) Is the only thing that’s keeping me from tossing this item is that I don’t want to waste money?
(4) Am I holding onto this item for sentimental value?
(5) Do I have a similar item that serves the same purpose?
(6) Do I have a realistic plan to use this?
(7) Does it fit me or my living space?
(8) Am I holding on to this broken item to fix in the future?
(9) Ask yourself if you really need something. If you hesitate, you don't.
(10) When you buy something new, practice the "in-out rule:" For every one new item, get rid of an old one.
Excerpts from A Well Organized Life by Peter Walsh
Keep items that you use on a regular basis, and that serve a purpose in your home. Donate any items that you haven’t used or worn in 6 – 12 months. Lastly, throw away items that are worn out or broken. They no longer serve a purpose in your home, are just taking up much needed space – and adding to your clutter!
3. Invest in storage containers/and an organizational system to keep your belongings organized. For example, using a clear plastic stackable storage tub to hold medicine. You could also use a plain shelf bought from Ikea and add colorful cubes to store children’s toys, books, etc.
When de-cluttering and organizing your home, remember to keep things simple. Bringing Organization to your home is meant to help you find your items easily, thus making your home a stress-free environment.
For more tips on de-cluttering and organizing your home, click on the link below.
Post a Comment